Comments by Cheryl Cowart
There have been many negative and false statements made by people and other churches against the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. No other church has ever been so maliciously maligned as this church has
been. I have read some of the literature printed against the church and it amazes me that so many have taken the
time and borne the expense to print these things. One wonders, "WHY ARE WE SO FEARED"? Some say that
we are not Christians; others say that we worship Joseph Smith or Adam, or that we are polygamists, etc., etc.
None of these things are true, by the way.
Question: "What if our claim is true, that we are Christ's Restored Church?" Then it is understandable
why there is so much negative literature printed against this church, isn't it? Satan would certainly not want
the world to be converted to it, would he?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a list of our beliefs that they published for the sake of letting
people know our basic tenets. They are called THE ARTICLES OF FAITH. They are our beliefs "in a nutshell".
Please take the time to read each one. It may help to clarify some of the mistaken beliefs other churches have
taught about us. Then go to the section called "Ask A Question" to clarify any other mis-concepts you
may have about us.
1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances
of the Gospel.
4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ;
second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift
of the Holy Ghost.
5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in
authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors,
teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so
8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of
Mormon to be the word of God.
9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many
great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New
Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that
the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow
all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining
13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may
say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things,
and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy,
we seek after these things.